IllumiDeskRequires Consumer Key and Secret (click here to generate)
IllumiDesk allows professors, teachers assistants, and students to save time and effort when using Jupyter Notebooks when taking a course. The Jupyter Notebook is a wonderful open source tool that educational institutions have embraced to teach data science, computer science, and STEM skills in general. However, Jupyter Notebook installation and ongoing maintenance can be challenging, particularly for entry-level students. IllumiDesk solves these issues by offering a stable and scalable solution that professors and students can use to launch Jupyter Notebooks directly from Canvas, work through their projects and submit their assignments from the Jupyter Notebook interface.
To obtain your Client ID and Client Secret, please follow these steps:
- Log into IllumiDesk at https://app.illumidesk.com. You may create a local account or use your GitHub credentials to sign in.
- Send a message using the chat widget on the bottom right-hand corner of the application requesting your Client ID and Client Secret for Canvas.
- Your credentials will be sent via email. Once you have your credentials, you can activate the IllumiDesk application by clicking on the IllumiDesk application icon in your Canvas environment.
You can view configuration options on our help portal. Additional set up steps are also confirmed below.
Create a course module with notebook link.
- Go to course Homepage.
- Fill in module name and click
- Add module item by clicking
+button on the right of the module name.
External Toolfrom the first select field.
- You should now see a link to the app we just created (IllumiDesk).
- Click on that link. You will see your IllumiDesk project list.
- Click on the project you that contain your notebook file. Use
a-2017and select a Lecture.
- Select an .ipynb file from the list and click
- Click on created notebook link to verify if it’s working.
- You should see Jupyter page with the file you previously selected open.
Check if Student can access the notebook.
- While in course menu click on
- If there are no students assigned to this course you can add them by clicking on
+Peoplebutton. Pop up will show up. You can enter email addresses here. It is good practice to add those users to Canvas before adding them to courses.
Peoplepage click on a student name.
- Click on
Act as Userlink. Click
- Now you can see this course as a Student.
Teacher assignment creation workflow.
- Go to Courses -> Assignments (it can be grayed out, but it will work).
- Click on
- Fill in assignment name and other fields to your liking.
Enter or find External Tool URLfield click
- Click on
- Select project and notebook file then click
URLfield in the popup should be filled with illumidesk url
Save & Publish
- Notebook should now open in an iframe in canvas.
- Teacher workflow ends here.
- Log in to canvas
- Go to courses.
- Select course.
- Go to assignments.
- Click on assignment
- Notebook should open.
- Do your work.
- In the notebook toolbar, on the left, you will find an arrow icon with tooltip
Submit to Canvas, click on it.
- That’s it.
- Go to Course -> Grades
- Click on the student you want to grade.
- Click on the assignment.
- Students notebook should open for you.
- Grade students work.
- That’s it!